Prof. Tom Dhaene
Tom Dhaene is Full Professor at Ghent University (Belgium) in the Internet Technology and Data Science Lab (IDLab) of the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture (FEA), since October 2007. He is affiliated with imec, an independent ICT research institute founded by the Flemish government.
Earlier, he gained industrial experience (1993-2000) at Alphabit (imec spin-off), Hewlett-Packard and Agilent Technologies (now part of KeySight Technologies), and held an academic position at the University of Antwerp (2000-2007).
His current research interests include data-efficient machine learning (DE-ML), active learning, surrogate modeling, digital twins, system identification, optimization, and numerical analysis techniques.
His teaching activities include a course on Machine Learning for master students in Engineering.
As author or co-author, Tom Dhaene has contributed to more than 500 peer-reviewed papers and abstracts in international conference proceedings, journals and books. He was promotor of more than 25 PhD students, and he is the holder of 8 patents. His articles have attracted more than 11.000 citations and his h-index is 51 (Google Scholar).
- Machine Learning (ML) [data-efficient Machine Learning (DE-ML), Gaussian Processes (GP), Bayesian Optimization (BO), digital twins]
- Microwave and RF engineering [Computational Electromagnetics (EM), Electronic Design Automation (EDA), High-speed Interconnect and packaging, Signal and Power Integrity (SI/PI)]
- Experimental Design [Design Of Experiments (DOE), Active Learning (AL)]
- Numerical techniques [Model Order Reduction (MOR), Optimization]
- System and Control theory